Monday, June 18, 2007

Ride a Bike Save the World

Despite the jingoistic title on this post, I do believe there's a kernel of truth in that bumper sticker message (kinda relates to my use less oil, win the war in Iraq and overall war on terror ponderings - see, if you want, "Plain as the nose on your face" post below).

But this story here from today's LA Times is just one more spoke in the "Ride a Bike Save the World" wheel. Bamboo bikes. Who'd thunk it?

I'm kinda tongue-in-cheek on this one. Kinda not.

-------

In the ride a bike have some fun category, Saturday was the Specialized/Sierra Nevada Crit (that's my team's race). It wasn't fun getting schooled by Safeway, again, but talking afterwards with my teammates it feels like we came away with a better understanding of how to race together. Sometimes I get caught in a myopic trap thinking there's only one way to read a race as it's unfolding. Then I get unduly frustrated when it looks to me like a teammate isn't doing his assigned job.

But you know what, there are as many points of view on how a race is unfolding as there are bikes in the peleton. What's important is to trust your teammate. If things don't go according to plan, so what, time to ad lib.

And as far as getting the job done goes, I fell short on Saturday. Peter Allen started his lead out for me with about 2/3s of the last lap to go and mashed through the backstrectch at 34 mph, which was burning fast for the wind conditions. It was the best lead out I've had in my life, then I chundered the sprint by waiting too long to jump and got beat to the hole shot by someone.

Guys, if you're reading this, I shouldn't have said we rode poorly as a team. It wasn't a perfect race, but to me, it was encouraging. So onto Burlingame.

----

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more." (Henry V)

6 comments:

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

"What's important is to trust your teammate."

Indeed, there is nothing more important than trust in producing good solid teamwork, IMHO.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

btw, thanks to you and your mates for putting on the race. well done, and i hope you can keep it going in future years.

banks said...

PAB, glad you made it to the race. Most of the team helps to put it on, but there are a hnndful of individuals who really work hard. They deserve colossal props.

If you're doing Burlingame we should get our mates together for some frosty beverages afterwards.

Cheers.

Steve Griffiths said...

I'll never ride with you again A*hole!

Ha ha ha. Props for racing. Love racing with you guys when I can.

banks said...

OK. You can start not riding with me tomorrow night. I hear there's ride that leaves from BP.

banks said...

Oh yeah, and PattyMac, in all seriousness, thanks to you and the others for working so hard to put on the race.

Especially Lance. I think it's been two years in a row that he's pulled porta-potty duty.